SOCCSKSARGEN - Agribusiness Profile
Location and Geography
- Region XII, formerly known as the Central Mindanao now forms the new SOCCSKSARGEN Region.
- Composed of the provinces of South Cotabato, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat andSaranggani and Cities of Cotabato, General Santos, Kidapawan, Koronadal and Tacurong.
- The region has a total land area of 22,612 sq.km.
- Based on the Modified Thormwaits Classification, Region XII has
one distinct type of climate –Type IV characterized as wet and rainy.
May, June, September and October are the wet months, while February, April and July are the dry months. Tropical cyclone occurrence is estimated to be once in every twenty years.
- Population (Census, 2010)
- 4.109 million
- Major commodities
- Oil palm
- The Rio Grande de Mindanao, the second largest river in the Philippines and the longest in Mindanao, fertilize the plains of the Cotabato provinces.
- South Cotabato is regarded as the rice granary of the South.
- Export winners
- fresh/canned/frozen tuna
- fresh/canned pineapples
- frozen octopus/shrimps and other fish products
- Coconut oil
- Pork in a Box, Bungolan banana and organic rice