Eastern Visayas - Agribusiness Profile
Location and Geography
- Composed of the 6 provinces of Leyte, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Eastern Samar, Western Samar (Samar) and Northern Samar and the three (3) cities of Tacloban, Ormoc and Calbayog.
- The region has a total land area of 2 M hectares.
Agricutural area: 976 thousand hectares.
- Type II-no dry season but a pronounced maximum rainfall from November to January (Samar Island and Eastern part of Leyte)
- Type IV even distribution of rainfall year round and a short period of dry season from February to May (western part of the Leyte Island), some portions of Samar from Motiong to San Isidro, Northern Leyte).
- Population (Census, 2010)
- 4.101 million
- Major agricultural commodities
- Root crops
- Sweet potato
- Leading commercial crops
- Banana (Chips)
- Livestock and poultry
- Fishery. The region also abounds with fishery products as
it is endowed with rich fishing grounds:
- Samar Sea
- Guian Sea
- Carigara Bay
- Leyte Gulf
- Maqueda Bay
- Sogod Bay
- Ormoc Bays