Zamboanga Peninsula - Agribusiness Profile
Location and Geography
- Located in the western part of Mindanao, bounded by Sulu Sea on the north, Illana Bay and Moro Gulf on the south; Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte and Panguil Bay on the east; and Celebes Sea on the west
- E.O. 36 s.2001 reorganized region IX into 3 provinces: Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay and Zamboanga del Norte, and 5 cities of Zamboanga, Dipolog, Dapitan, Isabela and Pagadian, its regional center.
- Covers an area of 14,138 square kilometers and coastline of 700 kilometers.
- Population (Census 2010)
- 3.407 million
- Type III and IV, having no pronounced dry and wet season or there is uniform rainfall distribution throughout the year and outside the typhoon belt making it ideal for high value crops.
- Major commodities
- Rubber - the highest volume (40.58%) among the Mindanao Regions
- Seafood products